8 Ways to Know You Need a New Roof
We have put together this comprehensive guide to identifying the right time to get a new roof.
- Your Roof is 25 Years Old – An asphalt shingle roof should last between 20 and 30 years. Depending on your roof’s condition, you could have between five and ten years left but if the homes or properties around you are replacing their roofing this could be a sign you should do the same.
- The Shingles are Curling – Shingles can curl in two ways; cupping, which happens when the edges of the shingles turn upward plus there is clawing, which is when the edges stay flat and the middle starts to come up. These are both signs of weathering and could indicate potential leaks. Depending on how bad the curling has become you will need to replace your roof anywhere from a year to five years.
- Whole Shingles are Missing – There is no issue replacing a few shingles occasionally. The tricky part is that new shingles will hardly ever match the colour of the old ones as granule colours change a lot of the years plus the colours will change slightly due to weathering. You can have patching work done until it becomes a bigger issue but if your roof starts to look like a checkerboard we would recommend replacing the entire roof.
- The Shingles are Cracked – Cracked shingles are usually the result of wind damage but if just a few shingles have cracked you can have them replaced. If the cracking is not isolated to a certain area and is random throughout your roof this is a sign you need a new roof.
- Granules are Found in the Gutter – If you recently had a new asphalt shingle roof and notice a number of granules in the gutter this is not something to immediately worry about as they are just loose or extra ones. If this is happening after 10 to 15 years then it is a sign of a larger issue. If you have a roof that has granules in the gutter, the shingles will be roughly halfway through their lifespan.
- Shingles are Covered with Moss or Algae – This is simply a cosmetic issue, with some people choosing to replace their roof because they do not like the aesthetic. Moss or algae can be removed by washing your roof with a mix of bleach and water. Zinc strips can also be installed at roof peaks to eliminate this problem.
- Sunlight is Visible from Your Attic – If light can get in through your attic then so can rain, cold air and snow. You will need to check for light and look for water stains. Depending on the extent of the damage you will need to call a roofing repair specialist, such as EMR Group. Small leaks can easily be patched up, whereas larger ones, structural damage mean you will need to replace your roof sooner rather than later.
- Your Roof is Sagging – A sagging roof is a sign of structural damage, which could be a problem with the decking in your attic or worse the supports in the foundation. If you spot depression or a droop in your roof we would recommend calling us as soon as possible.
Get a Competitive Quote for Roofing Repairs
If you need your roof repairing, get in touch with EMR Group today. We can provide you with a competitive no-obligation quote for all your roofing repair requirements.