Have You Found Asbestos?


As we enter the time of year where DIYers start to work on their homes, we want to remind you of the dangers that asbestos can pose should you find it in your home and business.

DIY Discovery

When it comes to working on your own home, one of the things to look out for is the discovery of Asbestos. As a general rule, if Asbestos is left undisturbed it poses no danger to anyone in and around the property. However, it may not always be possible to leave the asbestos in situ, and there’s a chance that you may already have disturbed it as you have worked.
If you have discovered asbestos where it cannot be left in place, you will need to call in professionals in order to safely remove it and dispose of it in an appropriate manner.

Am I At Risk?

If your home contains asbestos, the general rule is that if it is in good condition it poses no risk to you or your family. If you notice that asbestos appears to be in poor condition, it is advised that you close off the area where possible to reduce the risk and call in a professional to have it removed. Speak to the professional who removes it to see if you have been exposed (this will depend on the level of damage and type of asbestos present).
If you have been undertaking DIY in your home and disturbed potential asbestos, remove yourself and others that are not wearing appropriate protective equipment, decontaminate yourself where possible, such as showering thoroughly, and ensure that the space is closed off until you can enlist the help of a professional.
One-time exposure is widely considered to be low risk to your health. If you do have any concerns or start to experience any of the below, please seek medical advice and inform them of potential exposure:

  • Shortness of breath.
  • A persistent cough.
  • Chest pain.
  • Difficulty swallowing.
  • Swelling of the neck or face.
  • Weight and appetite loss.
  • Fatigue and/or anaemia.

Please remember that all of these can be explained by other health issues. We are not medical experts and cannot give you further guidance on the matter.

Call In Experts

While there are a number of ways in which we can identify asbestos in our homes, we highly recommend that if you even suspect that it might be, you call in professionals to confirm. This can help to reduce your risk of exposure and ensure that appropriate precautions and work can be undertaken if required. Alternatively, if it is not asbestos, you will have peace of mind to continue with your DIY.

For more information on asbestos removal from EMR Group please contact a member of our expert team today who will be able to discuss your specific needs with you. Check our blogs regularly for more information about the services we offer and anything you need to consider at this time of year.